TUBA CITY, Ariz. - Four of Tuba City High School's top male and female student athletes were selected "Athlete of the Year" and two of the students also took a second, more competitive honor of "Academic" Athlete of the Year" award, doubling the prestige and recognition with awards selected by high school sports peers and coaches for the high school.
Sydney Brown, Roland Becenti, Albert Fuller and Koralyn Curley from Tuba City High School were honored at a banquet at the Tuba City High School Warrior Pavilion before a packed house filled with parents, extended family and sports supporters. They enjoyed a meal and and received the awards and trophies by the coaches of twelve different sports categories, including wrestling, Marine Corps Junior ROTC, fall-winter cheerleading, football, cross country, volleyball, girls basketball, boys basketball, softball, track and field, baseball and chess.
Tuba City Unified School District Governing Board member William Longreed said that the final year end banquet for the sports programs at Tuba City High School was really a celebration of the blending of successful academics with healthy sports activity.
"Most of the student athletes not just succeeded in their chosen sports," Longreed said. "They are also members of the National Honor Society and that makes us all so very proud."
More like this story
- Tsingine and Begody recognized as Athletes of the Year and Academic Athletes of the Year
- Tuba City High School names top athletes of 2014
- Tuba City High celebrates 2016 National Honor Society members
- Tuba City High's Becenti signs letter of intent with Glendale Community College volleyball program
- Tuba City's Tate Tsingine signs with Central Arizona College