WINSLOW, Ariz. - The Page Lady Sand Devils defeated the Winslow Lady Bulldogs 48-45 to win the Tournament of Champions at Ganado on Dec. 29. The win kept Page undefeated at 16-0 and dropped Winslow to 10-3. The teams were slated to meet again in Winslow on Jan. 2.
Page led 15-9 after the first period of play. The Lady Bulldogs cut into the margin but still trailed 25-21 at the intermission. Winslow had a miserable start to the third quarter and did not score in the first five minutes of the period but came back at the end of the period and only trailed 33-28 going into the final period. The fourth quarter was evenly played and while Winslow got within three points late the Lady Sand Devils held on to their 48-43 victory.
Shandiin Armao led all scorers with 21 points for Winslow. Ember Sloan led Page with 19 points. Adrianna Singer was also in double figures for the Lady Bulldogs with 13 points. Ashley Dempsey with 11 points and Lelisa Watson with 10 points were also in double figures for Page.
The game got a late start because a Tuba City Lady Warrior player suffered a serious injury and needed medical attention. Tuba City won the third place girls' game. The Window Rock Scouts won the boys' third place game 56-41 over the Monument Valley Mustangs.
More like this story
- Winslow Lady Bulldogs come in second to Page in Tournament of Champions
- Winslow Bulldogs defeat Fountain Hill Falcons 80 - 56 at 3A Conference
- Lady Bulldogs knocked out of state tourney in semifinal game
- Winslow Shootout sees Page Sand Devils and Snowflake Lobos in championship
- Lady Bulldogs fall to Page, Bulldogs pull out 68-60 win