WINSLOW, Ariz. - In partnership with the Winslow Arts Trust, Flagstaff Nuestras Raíces, and the Winslow Chamber of Commerce, Snowdrift Art Space presents Winslow's Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) Celebration.
The series of free programs will take place along Historic Route 66/Second Street in downtown Winslow from Thursday through Saturday.
Families celebrate Día de los Muertos throughout Latin America and the Southwestern United States to remember their departed ancestors and loved ones. They place ofrendas (offerings) at graves and altars and also pray, dance, sing, and share memories of the departed, who are thought to briefly visit the earth at this time each year to make sure that all is well and that they have not been forgotten.
On Thursday, Elena Díaz Björkquist will present Día de los Muertos: A Celebration of Life and Death at 6:30 p.m. at La Posada Hotel, 303 East Second Street. The celebration includs food, folk crafts, and altars.
Events will continue through Satruday.
More information is available from Ann-Mary Lutzick at (928) 289-8201or email@example.com.
More like this story
- Day of the Dead event Nov. 1 at Snowdrift Art Space in Winslow
- Day of the Dead celebration Oct. 25-26 at MNA
- Prehispanic traditions and contemporary Hispanic issues entwine at Celebraciones de la Gente
- View authentic cultural traditions at Museum of Northern Arizona's Day of the Dead celebration
- MNA features 5th Annual Celebraciones de la Gente