WINDOW ROCK - Speaker Pro Tem LoRenzo Bates announced April 9 that Leonard Gorman, executive director for the Navajo Nation Human Rights Commission, is on special assignment as Chief of Staff for the Navajo Nation Legislative Branch.
"Mr. Gorman has extensive knowledge and experience working with the Legislative Branch and the Navajo government as a whole," Bates said. "I have full confidence that Mr. Gorman will guide the legislative staff in an effective manner that provides stability and accountability for the Navajo people."
Gorman previously served as Chief of Staff under former Speakers Edward T. Begay and Lawrence Morgan.
Bates acknowledged the sensitive issues surrounding Council and said the appointment of Gorman is a critical step toward ensuring that the functions of the Legislative Branch continue without disruption for the benefit of the government and Diné citizens.
Gorman assumed all duties and responsibilities of the Chief of Staff immediately. The Legislative Branch continues to remain fully-functional.
More like this story
- Legislative Branch puts on orientation for incoming Navajo Nation Council members
- With the flip of a coin, Navajo Nation lawmakers select temporary Speaker Pro Tem
- Speaker Naize joins Cortez Mayor to sign historic agreement
- Seth Damon elected Speaker Pro Tem by 24th Navajo Nation Council
- Navajo leaders meet to discuss unity