The Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) Program awarded two Winslow High School 2013 graduates with good-through-graduation scholarships to use at any college or university of their choice. Mardo Lewis and Justin Butterfield joined the ranks of just 1,000 students who received the scholarships. Competition for the scholarships was tough this year with 57,000 applicants up from 24,000 last year. Only 250 Native Americans across the United States received the award. Lewis plans to attend the University of Arizona and study environmental engineering with a minor in music. Butterfield plans on attending San Diego State University to study computer science with a minor in Native American studies.
More like this story
- Three Winslow Native American scholars awarded Gates Millennium Scholarship
- NAU students donate to local school
- Tuba City Gates Millenium Scholars prepare for college career
- Tuba City High School produces five Gates Millennium Scholars for 2014
- Seven Tuba City High students are awarded Gates Millennium Scholarships