Kayenta, Ariz. - Staff Sgt. Jonathan D. Davis, of Kayenta, Ariz. died Feb. 22 in Afghanistan in the Helmand province while conducting combat operations.
Davis was assigned to Headquarters Battalion, 32nd Georgian Liaison Team, Regimental Combat Team 7, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.
"The Navajo Nation mourns the loss of a warrior who gave his life defending freedom," Navajo Nation President Ben Shelly said. "We are saddened by the loss of our warrior and we offer our prayers to the family during this difficult time. Staff Sgt. Davis was a valued member of the Kayenta community and often remembered for helping to bring home two state high school basketball championships in late 1990s. His presence will be missed."
Shelly ordered the Navajo Nation flag be lowered from sunrise Feb. 26, through March 1, and again on the day of his funeral service.
According to the Navajo Nation Veterans Department, Davis is the 13th Navajo member of the armed forces to be killed in action in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
More like this story
- Northern Arizona residents line Route 66 to honor Staff Sgt. Jonathan D. Davis
- Paperwork delays release of Lance Cpl. Yazzie
- President Shelly orders flags at half-mast in honor of fallen Code Talker Jimmie Begay
- U.S. Army Spec. Tom killed in action in Afghanistan
- Guest Column: Navajo Hopi Honor Riders complete honor run