The Valley Christian Trojans defeated the Winslow Bulldogs 62-49 in the opening round of the Arizona Division III State Tournament in Chandler on Feb. 11. The loss eliminated Winslow from the tournament. The team finished their season with a 16-13 record.
Valley Christian had a narrow 11-10 lead after the first quarter and increased it during the second period to 27-20 at the half. The lead was a commanding 44-27 after three quarters but the Bulldogs came back to tie the game in the closing moments. Trojan free throws extended the lead.
Brandon Haagsma led all scorers with 17 points for Valley Christian. The Trojans had two other players in double figures. Brock Temple scored 13 points and Aaron Miner scored 11 points. Michael Goldtooth led Winslow with 11 points. Milland Thomas, Stevin Nelson and Vincenzio Sells all scored nine points for the Bulldogs.
More like this story
- Lady Bulldogs knock out Monument Valley with big 62-30 win
- Window Rock Lady Scouts exit the state tournament with loss to Valley Christian Lady Trojans
- Winslow Lady Bulldogs, Valley Sanders Lady Pirates winners in sectionals
- Bulldogs take second in Pepsi Tournament, Lady Bulldogs go 5-5
- Winslow Bulldogs defeat Fountain Hill Falcons 80 - 56 at 3A Conference