WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. - The inauguration for President-Elect Ben Shelly and Vice-President-Elect Rex Lee Jim and the 22nd Navajo Nation Council is scheduled for Jan. 11 at noon. Other elected officials include the Navajo Board of Election Supervisors and the Navajo Nation Board of Education.
The ceremony is scheduled to take place at the Dean C. Jackson Arena on the Navajo Nation fairgrounds.
As in previous years, the leaders will participate in private traditional ceremonies beginning at dawn. Free public pre-ceremony events will begin mid-morning at the arena, and will include Joe Tohonnie Jr. with the White Mountain Apache Crown Dancers, Navajo flutist Jakey Skye, and blues band Levi and The Plateros.
Entertainment is sponsored by the Navajo Nation Gaming Enterprise and the Speaker's office. The Speaker's Office is also sponsoring 5,000 dinners for the public following the inauguration at Nakai Hall.
For more information call Kathie Curley at (928) 810-8504
More like this story
- Shelly-Jim Transition Team updates GSC
- Shelly still president, approves special run-off election and pardons election board
- Shelly takes oath of office, extends presidency
- Joe Shirley Jr. and Chris Deschene advance to general election for Navajo Nation President
- Shelly, Jim applaud Obama's support of U.N. Indigenous Declaration