UPPER MOENKOPI, Ariz. - The Moenkopi Development Corporation (MDC) is still going strong. Board member LeRoy Sakiestewa stated that the hotel and truck stop project is still on track despite the recent resignation of Chief Executive Officer Daniel Honahnie.
According to fellow board member Alan Numkena, Honahnie's resignation was unfortunate, but he can appreciate his decision after some issues regarding accountability. He also stated that for now the Denny's restaurant portion of the project is on hold.
Since there is no treasurer for the Hopi Tribe, there has been some difficulty in getting finances in order. Right now, the Board is negotiating the financing arrangements of the Legacy Inn according to Numkena. He also stated that the hotel is up to almost 100 percent occupancy so things are going very well.
There were earlier unsubstantiated reports that the hotel loan had defaulted, but Numkena said there is no truth to the rumor.
Right now the MDC is searching for a new CEO.
More like this story
- Hopi Tribe celebrates historic grand opening of Moenkopi Legacy Inn
- Moenkopi Development Corporation officially opens 'Gateway to Hopiland'
- Moenkopi Village celebrates new wastewater treatment plant opening
- Brewer recognizes Moenkopi Developers Corporation for Hopi Arts Trail
- Hopi economic development forum scheduled at Moenkopi Legacy