WINDOW ROCK-With the resignation of Francis Becenti as interim director of the Navajo Head Start Department, Navajo Nation President Joe Shirley Jr., has appointed Office of the President and Vice President (OPVP) Staff Assistant Lamont Yazzie to temporarily run the program.
President Shirley made the appointment on Sept. 4. Yazzie will serve as acting department manager until Oct. 4 and will be responsible for the proper administration of the Head Start Department. This will include overseeing all grant compliance matters, supervising employees and managing day-to-day operations.
"I also want you to initiate a budget modification of our existing grant to use approximately $10 million in unexpended funds to purchase 10 modular classrooms, to recruit and hire a licensed mental health expert and to work closely with the Parent Policy Council and the administration in advertising, interviewing and selecting a permanent Head Start Department manager," President Shirley wrote in his appointment letter.
More like this story
- Critical concerns reported for Navajo Nation veterans issues
- First Navajo Nation Board of Education meets
- Mismanagment and deficiencies found in audit of Navajo Veteran Affairs housing program
- New CEO of Navajo Gaming Enterprise announced
- Butler appointed as acting executive director of Navajo Government Development