WINDOW ROCK -Navajo Nation first lady Vikki Shirley and Bashas' Diné Markets launched a food drive Dec. 5 to last through the end of the year.
Shirley said the purpose of the food drive is to help needy Navajo families and elders across the Navajo Nation.
Non-perishable food items will be collected at seven Bashas' Diné Markets, several businesses and organizations on Navajoland and in surrounding communities.
Collection boxes can be found at each of these stores. Donations of canned vegetables, fruit, bags of rice, flour, potatoes and other staples are encouraged from everyone who can give something.
"I want to help families and children who are in most need at this time of year," Shirley said. "Everyday we have families coming to our office needing help with shelter, food and daily living expenses. This food drive will help us help these families by providing them with food boxes in emergency situations, and to brighten someone's holiday season."
More like this story
- President and Mrs. Shirley, Vice President Shelley give out Christmas turkeys to Navajo elderly, needy
- Christmas turkeys delivered to needy families
- Bashas' Family of Stores celebrates 80th anniversary in Arizona
- President Shirley, Vice President Shelly, First Lady join students at Youth Conference
- 'First Things First' check for $2.6 million presented to Navajo children