The Winslow City Council approved the first reading of an ordinance that would allow customers to pay bills with a credit card. The ordinance would also increase the amount of duplication of tapes to $5 from $3, and add a $3 fee for CDs.
City Clerk Suzy Wetzel told the counil in a report that the staff was requesting the fee to help offset the cost of providing the payment method to customers.
Wetzel explained that the staff had surveyed other cities to see what they charge, and after doing that, came up with the $3 amount.
In increasing the amount for tapes, Wetzel explained that this law was in line with what other cities charge.
Resident Judy Howell said she would like to know exactly how much it cost the city to duplicate the tapes before they approved an increase in the fees.
Wetzel was directed to gather that information and have it available before the second reading of the ordiance.
In other action Jan. 18, the council:
* Approved payment of $1,054.96 to Brown and Brown of Pinetop for legal services performed during October in conjunction with the Little Colorado River Adjudication process.
* Approved payment of annual emission fees to the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality in the amount of $2,170.
* Approved payment of ADEQ monitoring assistance program fees for 2006.
* Awarded a bid and approved payment of $8,857.43 to Hughes-Calihan of Phoenix for a copy machine for the engineering department.
* Awarded a bid and approved payment of $26,773.87 to Winslow Ford for a nine-foot flatbed truck.
* Awarded a bid and approved payment of $7,135.14 to Dana Kepner Company of Phoenix for six dry-barrel fire hydrants.
* Approved purchase and payment of $3,080.85 to Johns Uniform for three ballistic vests for the police department.
* Approved a one year extension of the rental service agreement with Mission Uniform Services for uniform rentals for the city.
* Authorized expenses to remodel the city hall conference room in an amount not to exceed $5,000.
* Approved purchase of and payment in the amount of $1,376.14 for a CD-ROM Parcel and Map Data from First American Real Estate Solutions for the planning and zoning department.
* Approved a special events liquor license for the IBPOE No. 1267 on Saturday, Jan. 14.
* Appointed Vice Mayor Harold Soehner to serve as the city representative on the Little Colorado River Recreation, Conservation and Development Council.
* Approved by resolution the fiscal year 2007 low rent operating subsidy calculations required by the Public Housing Department. The changes implemented will separate the operating subsidy from the budget process.
* Approved by resolution a property combination of 512 and 514 West Elm Street for Randy Bengson.
* Suspended a contract with Architect Stephen Thompson for professional services associated with the new municipal complex on Third Street, until the city can reevaluate the project.