This Week in Winslow History<br>
5 years ago
The Winslow Rotary Club named the Standin’ on the Corner Foundation Organization of the Year due to their efforts in establishing the park and “awakening a sense of pride.”
25 years ago
In a special election March 31, 1980, Winslow voters decided to sell about 100 acres of city property for a subdivision located between the Public Health Service clinic and Desert View Cemetery.
Residences would take up 66 acres with the remaining reserved for a park, playground and possibly a school.
65 years ago
On March 29, 1940, Transcontinental & Western Air (TWA) proposed expanding service from the Winslow-Lindbergh Airport with three additional direct flights to Phoenix and San Diego.
The expanded service was expected to add more ground crew jobs and increase Winslow’s importance as a hub for travelers.
90 years ago
Residents concerned about improved roads met at the Elks Lodge to form a local chapter of the Old Trails Association, which would work with the national organization to improve roads and promote the “southern route.”
With a World Exposition planned for San Francisco in the summer of 1915, Winslow expected as many as 50,000 automobiles would pass through town.
The citizens also discussed making a road to the mountains, which pleasure seekers could use for outings.