Coach Becky Barris saw seven players return to the Winslow High School softball team. She also welcomed seven players either up from the junior varsity or new to the program.
Heading the list of returning veterans was senior shortstop Erica Armenta who is currently being recruited by Texas A&M, Holy Cross and the University of Alabama, with interest being shown by several other schools. Senior pitcher/second baseman Daphne Barton was the 3A North Region Player of the year last season and led the team offensively and defensively. Third baseman Joanna Panana is the only other returning senior.
Other returning players include junior catcher Nicole Curnutte, who was an All State player last season and a great team leader on the field. Junior JoDawn White is also a catcher and utility player whom Barris describes as a great athlete who can play anywhere. Rae Cutfinger is a returning junior outfielder. Sophomore Tessa Ramsey returns at the centerfielder.
New to the varsity squad are senior first baseman Amy Gomez, junior pitcher Juliet Sullenberger, junior outfielder Arcenia Pacheco, sophomore utility player Sarah Ragnoli, sophomore first baseman Julie Estudillo, sophomore third baseman/outfielder Amanda Wilcox and freshman pitcher/infielder Briana Conatser.
More like this story
- WHS baseball team returns six starters, 11 lettermen
- Winslow Bulldogs, other 3A North teams reap post season honors
- Curnutte, Sullenberger, Conatser, Ramsey Head All 3A North Softball All Region Team
- Baseball and softball season begins in Winslow with losses for Bulldogs against Blue Ridge
- Griffith, Armenta, Bulldogs Garner Regional Honors