This corridor will connect with the business education/science wing.
In 2001, Winslow Unified School District #1 (WUSD) contracted with Johnson Walzer Associates, LLC (JWA) and BPLW Architects and Engineers Incorporated (BPLW) to provide the initial documentations, facilities programming, and conceptual design services for the construction of the new 51,485 square foot replacement school. The replacement school would be that of replacing the structure that is now currently occupied by students commonly called and referred to as “Old Main”. The Community now can observe and have a strong idea of the building being established on Cherry Street adjacent to Pope. The construction of the new auditorium, two-story classroom building and administration/library center is well underway with the SFB project with an anticipated substantial completion date on or about the middle of August 2003.
On May 8, 2003 at 8:00 AM an official groundbreaking was held to begin construction of additional rooms to the auditorium, library media center extension and a science/business wing adjacent to the existing new SFB project. In the near future the Student Union building construction will begin at the existing transportation site. The fruition of the extended classroom, media center, auditorium and student union is the result of laborious planning. Representation of community, school staff and students in the “grass roots” and final decision-making were represented at the ground breaking. The groundbreaking ceremony consisted of representation of the Winslow Unified School District Board Members, City Manager, Smith-Woods Contractors, Johnson Walzer Architects and BPLW Architects and Engineers, The Winslow Mail, Winslow High School student body representatives, and District Administration. The new high School will be, to coin the phrase from an article in 1929 referencing “Old Main,” “an important addition to the Winslow Community, not only as an educational resource, but an obvious source of Community pride.”