Window Rock — Navajo Nation Vice President Taylor McKenzie, M.D. applauded the Nov. 20 Congressional approval of $150 million for the next five years to combat the rising diabetes epidemic across Indian country.
“There has been an increase in diabetes among Indian nations and this increase in funding will go towards helping the Navajo Nation fight this epidemic,” Vice President McKenzie said. “According to the recent 2002 health audit from the Navajo Area Indian Health Service, there are 15,805 patients on its diabetes registry, out of a total 180,462 population. Patient education is vital to addressing this epidemic.”
More like this story
- Diabetes affecting minority populations<br>
- Vice-prez highlights NN administration in Leupp
- NNC Council Disapproves ISDA Contracting Navajo Area Indian Health Services
- Vice President Taylor McKenzie discusses future plans <br>
- Navajo Nation Referendum Election Fails – See Opinion Page For Navajo Leader’s Reactions