Flagstaff, Arizona – President of the Navajo Nation Kelsey A. Begaye met recently with Secretary of the Interior Gale Norton and United States Senator Jon Kyl in Flagstaff.
President Begaye, in the meeting arranged by Senator Kyl, told Secretary Norton the Navajo Nation is ready to begin discussions and negotiations for use of the Colorado River in Arizona.
The Navajo Nation’s proposal includes a request to begin working on contracting parts of the remaining unallocated water of the Colorado River that is not currently used by the Central Arizona Project and current water rights settlements.
More like this story
- Water rights settlement topic of meeting
- Navajo President applauds recent water rights legislation
- Kyl and McCain visit to Tuba City erupts into Hopi and Navajo protest
- Begaye addresses framework for Little Colorado River water rights settlement
- Trial begins to determine Hopi Tribe's water rights to Little Colorado River