Churchrock, N.M. - On March 18, Titus Jay Nez, a 20-year-old from Churchrock, N.M., filed his paperwork to run for McKinley County Clerk. Nez, originally from Pinedale, N.M. will be running as a Democrat along with seven others in the hopes of winning the clerk seat. At the age of 20, Nez is the youngest candidate running in McKinley County.
Nez, a member of the Navajo Nation is, The Two who came to the water, and born for the Under his cover clan. He is the son of Leo Nez Sr. and Sophia Becenti. Nez graduated from Ft. Wingate High School, in Ft. Wingate, N.M.
"As young people, we need to be represented in our local, state and federal governments," said Nez.
The McKinley County elections will take place along with statewide elections on June 3.
More like this story
- Iyanbito community receives equipment to improve and maintain roads
- Russell Begaye to replace Deschene on ballot, election rescheduled for Dec. 23
- Democrats woo Native voters
- Navajo Nation Council blocks proposed uranium mining in Churchrock, New Mexico
- Navajo candidates endorse Lujan Grisham for New Mexico governor