<b><center>Quick Reads</center></b>

Tobacco Storytelling

Native American Com-munity Health Center Inc. is a sponsor of the fifth annual Traditional Tobacco Storytelling event Thursday, Jan. 27 6-9:00 p.m. This event will be held at Phoenix College Auditorium, 1202 W. Thomas Road (15th Avenue and Thomas Road) in Phoenix and is designed to enhance knowledge and respect of traditional tobacco use. The evening provides the urban Native American community with a night of traditional stories and music featuring flutist Randy Kemp, storytellers Kimberly Irwin, Gary Rush, Ruby Steele (Miss Indian Arizona), Andrea Siow (Miss Hopi 2002-2003) and many more. For more information, contact Nikola Toledo at 602-279-5262 ext. 294.

Leupp meeting on C-Aquifer

Justin Willie of Leupp is sponsoring a meeting on the Peabody Coal application to run a water pipeline from C-Aquifer around Canyon Diablo (south of Leupp) to Black Mesa. Since there’s controversy with the N-Aquifer, Peabody wants to use C-Aquifer to slurry the coal to Mohave Generating Station. The meeting will be held on Saturday, Jan. 18 at 9 a.m. in the Leupp Demonstration School building.

Powwow, Gem Show

The 39th annual Quartzsite [Arizona] Improvement Asso-ciation (QIA) Pow Wow Gem and Mineral Show is Wednesday through Sunday, Jan. 26-30. Hours are 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily. Admission and parking are free. More than 500 dealers come to the powwow. Exhibits contain 75 percent gems, minerals, or related hobbies—and the remaining 25 percent is a treasure trove of goods from around the globe. For information, visit the Web site, www.quartzsiteimprovementassoc.com, e-mail qia@redrivernet.com, or call 928-927-6325.

Comments

Comments are not posted immediately. Submissions must adhere to our Use of Service Terms of Use agreement. Rambling or nonsensical comments may not be posted. Comment submissions may not exceed a 200 word limit, and in order for us to reasonably manage this feature we may limit excessive comment entries.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.