High-speed chase ends with sparks

Drunk driver suspect Renick’s high speed chase comes to a stop after his truck collides with a power pole.

Hodges car came to a halt underneath the broken pole, which was resting on the live power line.

Immediately after impact, power in the downtown area went out for a few minutes. The City of Winslow Planning and Zoning Commision meeting was being held at the Police Court Complex Chambers. At this time members of the board heard the crash and exited the building to see what was happening.

Winslow Police officer Scott Peterson was also on the scene when the crash occurred and carefully backed his car up after seeing that the power pole was resting on other power lines.

The Winslow Fire Department was dispatched to the scene and as they arrived, the fire works began. Fifty feet of arcing (traveling electricity) could be seen as electricity bounced from the pole to a nearby street sign.

Everyone present at the scene also saw a fifteen foot white fireball across the street on Kenna Corner.

The noise caused by the arcing was loud and scary and seemed to last forever but really only lasted for a few short minutes.

The fire department and the Department of Public Safety immediately closed off streets leading to the crash.

Hodge, still in his car, was yelling at the suspect to stay in his car and to raise his hands above the steering wheel. The suspect listened to Hodge and remained in his truck.

DPS officer Gordon Beyer was next to arriveat the scene. He approached the accident and helped Hodge out of his vehicle and other Winslow Police officers apprehended Renick.

Both Hodge and the suspect survived the accident without any serious injury. Paramedics took Renick to the hospital for minor injuries.

Hodge said as his car hit the suspect’s car lightning traveled through his body. “ My tooth was glowing. My cap tooth and metal fillings seemed to tingle in my mouth,” said Hodge.

It was apparent to officers that Renick was driving on under the influence of alcohol and will be charged on several different accounts.

APS was called to the scene and worked into the early morning hours to secure the power pole.

The accident is still under the investigation by the Department of Public Safety.


Comments are not posted immediately. Submissions must adhere to our Use of Service Terms of Use agreement. Rambling or nonsensical comments may not be posted. Comment submissions may not exceed a 200 word limit, and in order for us to reasonably manage this feature we may limit excessive comment entries.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.