Phoenix, Ariz. - The Heard Museum’s 12th Annual World Championship Hoop Dance Contest presented by Motorola will take place Feb. 2, 3. The chance to clinch the World Champion Hoop Dancer title draws together the very best Native hoop dancers from throughout the United States and Canada for one spectacular weekend of athleticism, speed and grace.
Over the years, the intertribal hoop dance has grown to incorporate creative designs, difficult manipulations of the hoops and intricate footwork. Each dancer presents a unique variation of the intertribal hoop dance, weaving in aspects of his or her distinct traditions and cultures. Individual routines are presented using as few as four to as many as 50 hoops, which are shaped to create a variety of designs including animals, butterflies and globes.
More like this story
- Hoop dance contest showcases best of the best
- Hooping it up at Heard Museum for 27th Annual World Championship Hoop Dance Contest
- Hoop dreams -- nation's best dancers focus on world title
- LaRance wins World Championship Hoop Dance competition for second straight year
- Heard Museum's 20th Annual Hoop Dance Contest