Winslow High School has four Arizona State Championship trophies on display. All were won by teams coached by present day coach Don Petranovich. Petranovich's teams claimed championships in 1979, 1989, 1990 and, finally, in 1998. One member of the 1998 squad will join Petranovich in pursuit of the school's fifth state championship in the 2000-2001 season.
The 1998 squad was led by point guard Verlaine Kescoli and dominant inside players Crystal Lee, Joleen Jackson and Mindy Hernandez. Others on the team, many of whom saw action during the last two seasons as well, were Kim Jackson, Tierra Ashley, Nadia Gene, Miranda Gilbert, Ann Ono, Nadina Gene and Buffy Barton.
Francine McCurtain, who led the Lady Bulldogs into the championship game last season, was a freshman on the 1998 team. She will be back for another run at a state championship when basketball season rolls around.
The 1998 squad finished with a 31-2 record.
More like this story
- Chong, Perkins 3A North Region girls' basketball Coaches of the Year
- Longtime Winslow girls basketball coach retires with championship
- Petranovich back from coaches’ meeting, taking team to San Diego
- 1988-89 and 1989-90 Girls' Teams won two State titles with combined scores of 60-1
- Petranovich Earned Encore, Returns for 2004-2005